Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Martha Washington and Me

This week has been pretty uneventful so far. Perhaps I will get some things done!!!

I am reading a book Called "Washington's Lady" about Martha Washington, and am amazed at her strength, ability and goodness. Running a plantation; having children and a husband die; choosing who to remarrying while being the richest widow in Virginia; being unable to have more children when she and George both so desperately wanted them; taking care of her previous husband's plantation as well as Mount Vernon while George is fighting a war. I never thought of all the people to manage as the wife of a plantation owner and the stress of selling your goods to those who would most likely cheat you because they are across the ocean and they can get away with it. I am grateful for my trials in comparison. - An easy comment now that I have so few trials (or at least much less harsh) relative to recent years in my life. We are so blessed to have modern medicine and that our children have a better chance of living than dying. We also have so many luxuries with much less effort and responsibility on our part. We surely become much more complacent with the ease and abundance in our lives. Like Martha in the book however accurate or inaccurate it may be, I love and adore my new husband and look forward to the rest of my life and eternity with him. I also cherish my children. But unlike her, I am able to have more children as well as the blessing of being a step mother.

I really do enjoy all the children in our home. I never thought I would want a big family, but I have more moments of enjoyment than of frustration. For this I am truly grateful. Our Father in Heaven has blessed us all beyond what I could have ever hoped for and has answered every one of my prayers in excess. How grateful I am to Him and for all He has given me and my family. There has never been a time in my life where I felt so content.

1 comment:

Salty Gal said...

yay i found your blog! good job!